Ayatullah al-Uzma Fazel Lankarani
Ayatullah al-Uzma Fazel Lankarani was born in 1930 (1310 Iranian Solar calendar) in the holy city of Qum. His father, the late Ayatollah Fazel Lankarani (P) was among the great scholars and authorities of Qum Theological School. His mother was one of the pious ladies of esteemed sayyid's origins.
After completion of elementary education, he continued his studies at age of 13 in Qum Theological School. Because of his high talents and IQ, he was able to go through "preliminary" and "levels" courses in only six years and when he was 19 years old, he started to study "Figheh and logical principles" which is called "Kharej," from Grand Ayatollah Borujerdi (P). He was very popular among theological students and scholars because of his age and intelligence. One of his close friends and classmates was the son of G. Ayatollah Khomeini (RA) the Founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Shahid Mostafa Khomeini (P).
He attended the lessons of Figheh and Usul (Principles) taught by G. Ayatollah Borujerdi (P) for 11 years and also took part in courses taught by G. Ayatollah Imam Khomeini (RA) for nine years and he learned many points from these great sources of Islamic sciences.
He also attended in philosophy and exegesis courses of Ayatollah Alameh Tabatabaie (P) and learned extensively from this valuable source of knowledge.
Great talent and constant efforts resulted in achieving the high rank of Ejtehad (Islamic authority) when he was only 25 years old and this point was approved by hid great teacher G. Ayatollah Borujerdi (P).
Ayatullah al-Uzma Fazel Lankarani has been teaching the lessons of "levels" for many theological students and it has been over 25 years that he has taught Figheh and Usul in Kharej level to those students. His classes were so popular that over 700 scholars from theological circles of Qum attended them.
It has been several years that his teachings of Kharej lessons are being broadcasted by the voice of the Islamic Republic and it has many listeners all over Iran and abroad.
Since the time Imam Khomeini (RA) started his political activities against the cruelty and corruption and despotic rule of Pahiavi regime, he was one of his close companions and he was active in every step along with combatants and followers of the Islamic Revolution. He was among the active members of the society of Theological Teachers in the Islamic Theological Center of Qum (Hawzatul Ilmiyyah).
He issued numerous public statements for the advancement of the Islamic Revolution and enlightening of Islamic Ummah and supporting of leadership and religious authority of Imam Khomeini (RA). He was summoned several times by officials of the Pahiavi regime for interrogation and also prisoned. At last, he was sent to exile in Bandar Lengheh. After 4 months of living in that city, he was transferred to Yazdi and stayed there for 2.5 years in exile.
After the victory of the Islamic Revolution in Iran, he was a source of support and strengthening for the founder of the Islamic Republic, Imam Khomeini (RA) and after his demise, the Great leader Ayatollah Khameneie (S).
He was elected by the Islamic Umah of Iran as a member of the First Council of Leadership Experts and served more than ten years as the head of Qum Theological Center.
Love and Attachment of Ahl-al-Beyt of the Prophet (SWT)
His family were among the sincere and devoted followers of Ah-al-Beyt (AS) since long time ago and they have always arranged religious mourning sessions for them every week in Fridays and they have marked the anniversary of their demise and also celebrated the anniversary of their birth, usually in his father's house. These arrangements still continue to be observed.
Leadership of Mass Prayer
Devotion to Ah-al-Beyt resulted in holding by him the mass prayer leadership of one of the most important centers of Islamic preachers and panegyrists in Qum, namely Agha Sayyed Hassan Center, after the demise of G. Ayatollah Najafi Marashi (P) and according to the request of religious scholars and pious people of Qum, and the head of Hazrat Mosoomeh's (AS) Holy Shrine. Thousands of Islamic scholars and students and pilgrims of 7th Imam's (AS) daughter, perform their mass prayers under his leadership.
After the demise of G. Ayatollah Imam Khomeini (RA) many of his devoted followers chose him as the Islamic authority for the purpose of Taqleed and following the demise of G. Ayatollah Araki (P) the society of Qum Theological Center's Teachers officially introduced him as the first person for Taqleed of Mosilem Ummah.
Works and Publications
Most of the books authored by Great Ayatollah Fazel Lankarani are in Arabic.
Some of these are listed here:
1. Tafsil-al-Shariah (in Arabic) which is a description for "Tahrir Al Vasilah" written by Imam Khomeini (RA), eleven volumes published up to now.
2. A commentary on "Urwat-al-Wusgha" (in Arabic).
3. Nahayat-al-Taghris, the notes regarding teaching courses of G. Ayatollah Borujerdi on prayer, in two volumes (in Arabic).
4. A commentary on Tahrat-al-Mesbah by Alfaghieh Mohaghegh Hamedani (in Arabic).
5. Description of Foroe, Al-Ijtehad va Attaqleed from Orwat-al-Wusgha (in Arabic).
6. Kitab al-Thawn (in Arabic).
7. Kitab al- Ghaza (in Arabic).
8. Al-Masael Al-mostahasah (in Arabic).
9. A Thesis on rules of Namaz in doubtful clothes (in Arabic).
10. A Thesis on rituals of Haj and Umrah (in Arabic).
11. Al-Ahkam Al-wazeha (Arabic rulings).
12. Rituals of Haj, a commentary on Kitab-al-Haj in Tahrir-al-Wasilah (in Arabic).
13. Alghavaed Al-Feghieh (in Arabic).
14. Taghrirat-al-Usul, notes on Imam Khomeini's courses, in 5 volumes (in Arabic).
15. Taghrirat-al-Usul, his teaching courses, in 4 volumes (in Arabic).
16. Taghrirat-al-Usul, notes regarding Ayatollah Borujerdi's teaching courses (in Arabic).
17. A Thesis on Feregh Rule and Invasion (in Arabic).
18. Taghrirat, the texts of Kharej courses, in 8 volumes (in Persian).
19. Resalah Al-Towize al Masael (in Persian).
20. Haj Rituals (in Persian).
21. Madkhal Al-Tafsir in Qur'anic sciences (Arabic).
22. A commentary on Al-Hamd Surah (in Arabic).
23. Taghieh Modarati (in Persian).
24. Statesmanship from the Perspective of Imam Ail (AS).
25. The Innocence of Prophets (ASW).
26. Majma-al-Fahares, a collection of the list of contents for Behar-al-Anwar, Alghadir, and Al-Mizan.
27. Ahalabeit (AS) or Prominent Figures in Ayat Tathir.
28. The Aemeh Athar (AS) or guardians of faith in the Holy Quran (no. 27 and 28 co-authored with Ayatollah Eshraghi).
29. Haj Manasek.
30. Rulings about Haj.
31. Haj Estefta'at.
32. Jameh-al-Masael (A collection of rulings).